The purpose of this post is to see if there is an interest in forking backtrader into an ongoing and consolidated ‘living’ project.
Currently there are a number of reasons for this:
- Backtrader’s creator has deservedly moved on to greener pastures and the original code is locked under his git account so no updates can be made. This will make the code stale over time and discourage new users.
- There are minor bug fixes that need implementing and future ones will come up with changes in the world.
- Many people have made great enhancements already implemented and they are not in the core system.
- There are many forks in various stages of development fragmenting the project.
- Backtrader needs to belong to the community now, not any one person.
I would propose that we create a central ‘new’ forked backtrader with a fresh start, start with a few keen people as administrators on git. I would suggest that the order of importance for implementing would be first bug fixes and second enhancements that already exist in the world.
We could invite people through this forum and active solicitation to bring the code enhancements to the new central backtrader.
After that, we can look at new improvements down the road. Who knows, maybe there are people out there who would be keen to work on such a project?
I would be prepared to house the new version and work on it. I’m hoping that in the beginning at least that some others might volunteer?
Backtrader is an awesome library and it will surely die if we don’t organize ourselves a bit.
Let me know your thoughts.