Conspiracy Theory

• Ok - Bit of a fun post but....

Is @Paska-Houso our framework father @backtrader in disguise? Here is my (poor) detective work:

• He seems to be very knowledgeable about the framework in a wide range of subjects
    • His account was created only after @backtrader went dark.
    • His style of writing, tone and expression seem familiar

:)

Anyway, I won't quit the day job.

• Hey I think you may be right :) he couldn't abandon us and couldn't resist sitting there reading our dumb questions and not responding..!

In hindsight would have been better to create Paska a month or so before the copyright fiasco and start answering questions alongside Backtrader, so appears two separate users.. [less suspicious when he suddenly appears from nowhere, knowing everything!]

link text]

• Miss. The largest contributor to the theory is probably this:

@ThatBlokeDave said in Conspiracy Theory:

• His account was created only after @backtrader went dark.

The account was actually re-created. This account was one of the first ones and used to validate registration using Google.

• He seems to be very knowledgeable about the framework in a wide range of subjects

Right. Have known it even before it went public.

• His style of writing, tone and expression seem familiar

There are common traits and heritage, but it won't probably hold true in a court of justice.

As for the reason to have taken on to some of the topics:

• @backtrader decided to stop contributing (call it free support if you want) and went on to concentrate on another project (which could be groundbreaking for the Python community or a complete bluff)

• Having discussed the quirks and perks and having benefited from the code myself, I decided to dedicate some time to the community.

• As a side note: some of the discussions involved monetizing the platform (donations, patreon, support services, consultancy, some kind of freemium), but @backtrader doesn't see it.

If you see it otherwise, point it out (I am sure the messages are being read even if not addressed)

• @Paska-Houso

Interesting, what project is he working on now?

Speaking of monetization - I think there are opportunities. The question is how much are they worth and what is the opportunity cost vs focusing on something else?

I saw some guys (or gals) in the bitcoin thread mentioned that they would be willing to pay for a store implementation.

Another ideas:

• Place a simple donation button on the website for grateful users to support the platform.
    • From the homepage I see it is used in 2 Eurostoxx banks and 6 quant firms. I would imagine they might be willing to support the project with funding. At a minimum he could get some good rates working for them. Who better to have in the team than the creator?
    • Sell some complete strategies.
    • Setup funding goals for new features that are off the roadmap.

• @ThatBlokeDave said in Conspiracy Theory:

Interesting, what project is he working on now?

For sure not to be answered by this poor soul (at least as long as it is a personal/private/confidential project)

Looks like your connection to Backtrader Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.