backtrader_contrib

• administrators

Some of the contributions which were in the queue would for sure be nice additions for some users of `backtrader´. In order to allow for a seamless integration of those for as many people as possible, the following approach will be taken

• A side project named backtrader_contrib will be created

• This project will accept pull requests

• Elements submitted (indicators, analyzers, ...) will be injected into the main backtrader package

• If a component generates an exception during importing it won't be injected
    • The licensing is left open to the user with one exception: no GPLv2. Being the reason that some licenses like Apache License 2.0 is not compatible with GPLv2, but it is with GPLv3

See: GNU - A Quick Guide to GPLv3 and GNU - Various Licenses and Comments about Them

The repository will contain the license text for GPLv3, ASF 2.0, MIT, BSD

• The repository will be published as a pip package on a regular basis

• @backtrader Ok great to know. Look forward to seeing this. Anytime frame when backtrader_contrib will be ready?

I'll be honest with you, I don't really understand what all this copyright issue is about and what are the potential consequences for you. Nobody can sell it to make money right? anyone who wants it can download free and make changes already.. My knowledge in this area is low so it may be a naive question, but who can take advantage of you? Why is there a problem?

• administrators

• Nice one. Just to confirm, we need to add in comments referring to one of the licenses e.g. from https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.en.html

'''
    NewAnalyzer.py was written by Richard ORegan 2017.

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
        it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
        the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
        (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
        but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
        MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
        GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
        along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
    '''

• @Richard-O'Regan I can't seem to edit my previous post, I wanted to make my question above clearer [has editing been disabled?]. So all our code we submit as pull requests must include a licensing comment right?
    Just thinking of the 'copyright' issues a few weeks ago.
    Thanks

• It seems to be the point about having contrib separated from the main code base and you retain your copyright (with the license of your choice amongst the offered ones.

Looks like your connection to Backtrader Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.