TypeError: 'float' object is not callable in custom gap indicator

• Im trying to make a gap indicator as my first test with backtrader but must be missing something.

class Gap(bt.Indicator):
        lines = ('gap',)

def next(self):
            self.l.gap = (self.data.open[0] / self.data.close[-1]) - 1

Generates:

self.l.gap = (self.data.open[0] / self.data.close[-1]) - 1
    value = value(0)
    TypeError: 'float' object is not callable

Could someone explain why im getting this error and what I can do to fix it?

• administrators

@favetelinguis said in TypeError: 'float' object is not callable in custom gap indicator:

value = value(0)
    TypeError: 'float' object is not callable

It is unclear what value is and where it comes from ... but it is clearly a float and therefore not callable

• I dont know what value is the three last lines I have cut from the stacktrace i get when executing my indicator. Not sure where/why backtrader is calling value.

• administrators

The problem here:

• Three (3) isolated lines from a stack trace cannot for sure help anyone.

If you have an indicator and its application in a script generates an error, the minimum would be:

• How you are using it
    • The (mostly) complete generated error and not 3 lines which by themselves make no sense

Note
    In any case the indicator would break because you

• access self.data.close[-1] without having set a minimum period to let the indicator know it has to at least access the past day
    • Assign a float to a lines object in next

Either (or some together9

• Add the minimum period manually (see examples with addminperiod)
    • Create the operation in a declarative manner during __init__
    • Assign to [0] during next

You probably want to read this - Docs - Platform Concepts - about operator and delayed indexing.

You may also have a look at the code of indicators like PercentChange which is in percentagechange.py

• Thanks your reply did solve my problem both using the __init_method and using the next metod. Thanks for pointing out the link.

However the next issue I ran into is the limitiation of buying at open and sell att close. As I understand there is no way to check if there is a gap and if there is buy at the same opening price that was used to calculate if there is a gap and then sell at close? Buy default this strategy would check for a gap at day 0 and then execute the order at day 1?
    Is this correct and is it possible sidestep this and implement a strategy that buy at the current open in backtrader?

Looks like your connection to Backtrader Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.