Date and time handling in the __init()__

• Hi @backtrader

Could you please advice the way of date & time handling using __init()__. Say I have data feed and want to have the following indicator values along the history:

from the data beginning to 2000/12/31 it should be 1.0
    after 2001/01/01 it should be 2.0

I've developed an indicator using next(). It simply compares last data feed dates and dates shown, and set values accordingly . Is there a way to make the same thing in the __init()__? It seems to me that it might be faster.

• administrators

Comparison is implemented for datetime.time instances and lines, but not for datetime.datetime or datetime.date, which forbids a clean implementation of that idea with something like:

def __init__(self):
        self.lines.myline = 1 + (self.data.datetime >= datetime.date(2001, 1, 1))

But there is something which can be done even if not so elegant

def __init__(self):
        self.lines.myline = 1 + (self.data.datetime >= date2num(datetime.date(2001, 1, 1)))

Instead of directly comparing with the datetime.date instance, the comparison is done against the numeric value.

• @backtrader Thank you!

I've used bt.date2num() function for transformation. Also I've found out that you rewrote if operator which can be applied to lines. That helped me also.

• administrators

Edited the snippet from above to reflect that the correct usage is with date2num (obviously)

Of course using the If from backtrader allows for much more complex scenarios. The 1 + boolean in the snippet was just meant to solve the hypothetical case presented above (1 until date x, 2 from that point onwards)

Looks like your connection to Backtrader Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.