For code/output blocks: Use ``` (aka backtick or grave accent) in a single line before and after the block. See: http://commonmark.org/help/

Is it possible to run a strategy starting with a certain amount of the stock already bought?

• Hi all! Just wondering, is it possible to run a strategy where it starts out with a portion of your cash already bought into the stock? For example, starting out with $10k cash, $5k worth of the stock, and then running the strategy from there. If so, what would be the best way to do this or simulate something close to it? Thanks in advance for any help!

• @Rob-Shih said in Is it possible to run a strategy starting with a certain amount of the stock already bought?:

is it possible to run a strategy where it starts out with a portion of your cash already bought into the stock?

There are some scenarios where back-testing should continue from some point in time - where the back-testing results for the earlier period of time are already available ( stored somewhere ). Sometimes both the analyzer data and broker position should be loaded prior to continuing the back-testing.

In my case I'm doing it in my analyzer create_analysis method - but the same could be accomplished in strategy itself.

Something like this:

class MyAnalyzer(bt.Analyzer):

# strategydb is something  I'm using to persist the information about
       # backtesting results for specified time period - exact details are not 
       # important right now.
        params = (
            ('strategydb', None),  # strategy database is passed as a parameter
        )

def create_analysis(self):

if self.p.strategydb:
                # we've got a database with potential history data
                # use it for calculating incremental optimization results

... some code here to retrieve the previous results from strategydb

# this will update the position directly inside the strategy broker
                data_pos = self.strategy.broker.positions[self.data]
                # pos_size,pos_price and stop_date are loaded from strategydb - don't ask how
                data_pos.set(pos_size, pos_price)
                # in some scenarios broker requires the datetime to be specified 
                data_pos.datetime = datetime.combine(bt.num2date(sparams.stop_date), time())

It may look like cheating - but it works in my case - for back-testing only of cause ;-)

});