For code/output blocks: Use ``` (aka backtick or grave accent) in a single line before and after the block. See: http://commonmark.org/help/

Is the time and effort for learning Backtrader worth it ?

• Hi guys! I have been passionate about Investing and I have been learning technical indicators and signals for a while. I want to build my own trading strategies based on these technical indicators and signals, and a backtesting software is the best tool for me to validate my trading strategies. I came across Backtrader on the Reddit community and have seen generally positive comments about it in the algo trading community.

I would like to venture into it and start learning how to use it, but I have only very basic Python programming knowledge (e.g: for, if else, etc). Therefore, do you think it's worth it for me to take the time to learn Python programming and how to use Backtrader? How steep is the learning curve and how long would it take for me to get a good grasp for it. Is there any other viable alternative that would allow me to perform backtesting without the effort of learning Python programming ?

• @chuah-yi-yang said in Is the time and effort for learning Backtrader worth it ?:

Therefore, do you think it's worth it for me to take the time to learn Python programming and how to use Backtrader?

Depends on your other options.

@chuah-yi-yang said in Is the time and effort for learning Backtrader worth it ?:

How steep is the learning curve and how long would it take for me to get a good grasp for it.

Depends on your skills and smartness.

@chuah-yi-yang said in Is the time and effort for learning Backtrader worth it ?:

Is there any other viable alternative that would allow me to perform backtesting without the effort of learning Python programming ?

Algo trading requires two skills - trading skills and programming skills. Quants also are all about math skills, but personally I think that is just a hype. :) There are always two options - you learn these skills by your self or you pay somebody to use their skills. You choose.

• @ab_trader thanks for your reply!

Depends on your skills and smartness.

I know some fairly basic Python and I think on the trading side my knowledge should suffice with what I want to do. Is there a typical 'learning period' or 'learning curve' which can give me a rough idea of how long would it take for me to grasp the basics of backtesting ?

• @chuah-yi-yang Try Docs - Quickstart and read couple articles from Blog. It will take two or three full days only, but you will see how hard is it and decide if you need it or not.

I don't know you and can't say what will be the learning curve in your case.

• @chuah-yi-yang said in Is the time and effort for learning Backtrader worth it ?:

Therefore, do you think it's worth it for me to take the time to learn Python programming and how to use Backtrader?

I was in your situation a few years back. However your post is a little unclear to me. At the time for me I was going to learn python regardless so ultimately backtrader became an excellent choice.

I ended up learning python and backtrader together, and now my python is highly focussed in the area of trading because of backtrader. In addition, learning pandas along the way is invaluable to combine with backtrader and other analysis.

As for time, backtrader is serious and hard programming for a new programmer and you won't find a lot of patience in mentoring basic python here. But if you stick to it, much can be learned from the backtrader framework and it is an incredible open source tool that has extraordinary flexibility, speed, and power.

Good luck in your choice.

• @run-out said in Is the time and effort for learning Backtrader worth it ?:

you won't find a lot of patience in mentoring basic python here.

this is correct. :)

• @chuah-yi-yang Try Docs - Quickstart and read couple articles from Blog. It will take two or three full days only, but you will see how hard is it and decide if you need it or not.

@ab_trader Thanks for the resources man. Will take the next few days to go through the documentation page to have a full good look.

• @run-out I think our case is pretty similar. Although I initially don't plan to learn Python in-depth, I am willing to learn more of it to use Backtrader for my backtesting.

I ended up learning python and backtrader together, and now my python is highly focussed in the area of trading because of backtrader. In addition, learning pandas along the way is invaluable to combine with backtrader and other analysis.

That's what I'm thinking of right now. Since you started out learning python and backtrader together, what are the learning resources that you would recommend to me? Also, roughly how long does it take for you to really get comfortable with using Backtrader?

• @chuah-yi-yang For backtrader, just stay in the backtrader community. Read the docs, the articles, and this forum right here.

Also, tons of examples in the GitHub.

});