For code/output blocks: Use ``` (aka backtick or grave accent) in a single line before and after the block. See: http://commonmark.org/help/

Optstrategy and PivotPoint indicator pickle error

• Adding the pivot point indicator to a strategy results in a pickle error:

File "/opt/emeraldmine/backtest.py", line 61, in run
        runs = self.cerebro.run(stdstats=stdstats)
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/backtrader/cerebro.py", line 1143, in run
        for r in pool.imap(self, iterstrats):
      File "/usr/lib/python3.7/multiprocessing/pool.py", line 748, in next
        raise value
    multiprocessing.pool.MaybeEncodingError: Error sending result: '[<emeraldmine.strategies.pivot.PivotBase object at 0x7f9e3bea7710>]'. Reason: 'PicklingError("Can't pickle <class 'backtrader.metabase.LinesCoupler_0'>: attribute lookup LinesCoupler_0 on backtrader.metabase failed")'

The strategy contains nothing but the initialising of the pivot point indicator with in init():

class PivotBase(BaseStrategy):
        """Base strategy using built in PivotPoint indicator that uses 2 timeframes."""
        params = dict(
            open=False,
            close=False
        )

def __init__(self):
            self.pivot = btind.PivotPoint(self.data1)
            # # CrossOvers

def next(self):
            pass

if __name__ == "__main__":
        pass

This only happens when running optstrategy, obviously because of the pickling, any directions on a fix?

• Please take a look at the following post: https://community.backtrader.com/topic/1977/multiprocessing-pool-maybeencodingerror

Could this be relevant?

• administrators

The sample code is incomplete but the presence of

@Benjamin-Kesby said in Optstrategy and PivotPoint indicator pickle error:

if __name__ == "__main__":
        pass

does clearly point in the direction indicated by @vladisld and the scoping problems that pickle has. The solution would be the same as the one outlined in the referenced post.

• OK thank you, does this mean I cant keep strategies in separate files and import them? I have also wrapped a backtrader script in a class to allow for some easier configuration/ automation but i guess thats not possible with optstrategy also? Finally why would this error only occur with pivot points. All other indicators i've used so far do not create such an error.

});