For code/output blocks: Use ``` (aka backtick or grave accent) in a single line before and after the block. See: http://commonmark.org/help/

How to write algorithm for both long and short selling?

• my code works correctly only for long positions, and in this algorithm I added a code of short position, which I wrote manually, but the code does not work correctly
    In the documentation I read about the signal, but did not understand how to make a profit, and stop loss separately for long and short positions
    For example,
    For short positions
    I have 100$
    BUY EXECUTED, Price: 37.27
    SELL EXECUTED, Price: 40.42
    OPERATION PROFIT, GROSS 3.15, NET 3.15
    here I stayed in + (cash=100+3.15), and had to be in - (cash=100-3.15)

• @sasha said in How to write algorithm for both long and short selling?:

my code works correctly only for long positions, and in this algorithm I added a code of short position, which I wrote manually, but the code does not work correctly
    In the documentation I read about the signal, but did not understand how to make a profit, and stop loss separately for long and short positions
    For example, I have 1000 in stock. In Long I buy a share for 100, then I sell for 102.
    profit = 2, total 1002
    for this code works well
    For short positions,
    For shorts
    I have 100$
    BUY EXECUTED, Price: 37.27
    SELL EXECUTED, Price: 40.42
    OPERATION PROFIT, GROSS 3.15, NET 3.15
    here I stayed in + (cash=100+3.15), and had to be in - (cash=100-3.15)

• @sasha

If you want to share your failure in coding and docs understanding, than It is enough to have a single post about it. I am sorry for this, but try harder and you will succeed.

If you want to ask the question and get an answer, than you may want to ask the question and maybe even to post your code.

• @ab_trader Thanks for the advice. I just wanted to know how to write the code for the short and long positions.

• @sasha said in How to write algorithm for both long and short selling?:

I just wanted to know how to write the code for the short and long positions.

if not self.position:
        # open long
        if <long entry signal>:
            self.buy()
        # open short
        elif <short entry signal>:
            self.sell()

else:
        # close long or short
        if <long exit signal> or <short exit signal>:
            self.close()

});