For code/output blocks: Use ``` (aka backtick or grave accent) in a single line before and after the block. See: http://commonmark.org/help/
2019-10-02: The community is currently in read-only mode

Same bar order execution

• I have trading signals for each day, telling me whether to buy hold or sell. According to my current understanding by default the platform executes on the next bar - which in my case is the next day.
    A hacky way to solve this would be – I assume to shift all signals "up" one day in my CSV. This would be not suitable for a live strategy.
    How can I tell backtrader to execute either on opening or on the close price of the same bar/day I am currently looking at?
    I looked at the cheat-on-options, but not sure if this is the solution.
    Thanks

• administrators

Could you please elaborate a bit?

@valentin said in Same bar order execution:

I have trading signals for each day

Do you have them? Are they generated with the data?

According to my current understanding by default the platform executes on the next bar

I don't know where your understanding has come from. Order execution is described in the docs. It has nothing to do with default, it has to do with order execution type. Docs - Order Management and Execution

Things work as described for a good reason, to be as accurate as possible with backtesting, given the usual inherent limitations the data has, when compared to live action.

I looked at the cheat-on-options, but not sure if this is the solution

Neither can I know, given the lack of actual information. But the name cheat-on-xxxx was chosen for good reasons.

How can I tell backtrader to execute either on opening or on the close price of the same bar/day I am currently looking at?

Apparently you already read the pertinent docs, what else would you be expecting?

• Thank you. Your hints were enough to find a solution for now.
    For testing I simply shift the signal simply up a row. For live purposes I will find another way

});