Problem updating to Version 1.9.24 from 1.8.10, Win 10 Anaconda

• Hi,

I've downloaded and installed the latest version via "python setup.py install". I got the following confirmation of installation success.

Installed c:\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\backtrader-1.9.24.105-py3.5.egg
    Processing dependencies for backtrader==1.9.24.105
    Finished processing dependencies for backtrader==1.9.24.105

However, when I launch Spyders and do a quick test, I am still on 1.8.10.99

> import backtrader
    > print(backtrader.__version__)

I dived into the anaconda3 site-packages and found the backtrader-1.9.24.105-py3.5.egg file there, and at the same time the old backtrader directory and backtrader-1.8.10.99.dist-info directory are still there. It seems Spyders/Anaconda is reading off the old version.

How do I update my backtrader installation to the new version? What would be a good way for me to manage all the packages?

Windows 10
    Anaconda 4.2.0
    Python 3.5.2
    Pip 8.1.2

• @cnimativ solved. pip install --upgrade backtrader worked.

• A question on similar lines..
    I am relatively new to python...
    Appreciate that Backtrader is quite well maintained with follows regular releases with fixes/new features.

I am using windows 10 & python 2.7 - pip install or using setup.py in backtrader to install for manual install, in both ways it overrides the existing installation. At any point of time I wish to maintain 2 versions in same environment.

1. Keep existing stuff running with the version I had it tested with.
    2. use newer version for subsequent testing and once stable update it..

did some google, but prefer if we have some inbuild setup in backtrade to be able to have multiple versions installed at the same time and we can choose to point to specific versions.

• @skytrading54 I'm a bit new to python as well but will share what I do.

I'm using virtualenv and the virtualenv wrapper. This allows me to create a virtualenv for use with python3 or python2. I then maintain requirements.txt files for the different environments which allow me to do pip install -r requirements-dev.txt --upgrade which points to the backtrader repo development branch with git+https://github.com/mementum/backtrader@development as well as a list of all other module dependencies needed.

With the virtualenvwrapper installed, I can simply type workon backtrader-dev in the local directory to setup the environment to use the backtrader installed from development branch for example. You can create as many virtualenv environments as you would like.

I've heard some people prefer conda and/or anaconda, but I have found that to be more cumbersome.

• administrators

anaconda and winpython are two of the usually almost-all-in-one Python distributions mostly used.

virtualenv can be used also with them to separate different installations of the same packages (even directly installing from the git repository and pointing to a specific branch as done by @RandyT.

Looks like your connection to Backtrader Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.