For code/output blocks: Use ``` (aka backtick or grave accent) in a single line before and after the block. See: http://commonmark.org/help/

Don't start next() until specific date

• In my strategy I'm using a 200 hour EMA, which means for different futures products that could take anywhere from 10 to 35 days of preloaded data. I have 1-minute data so it's not so simple to figure out exactly how many minute bars would be required to complete the 200-hour preload.

Instead, I want to just load 40 extra days of data for every product, and just make sure I don't start trading until my true start date.

I was thinking I could manipulate either start() or nextstart() to delay the strategy's 'change to adulthood'. But I couldn't figure it out.

class strat(bt.strategy):
        params = {start_date: datetime.datetime(1,1,1)}
        def __init__(self): 
            pass
        def next(self):
            if self.data0.datetime.datetime() < self.p.start_date:
                return

#strategy

This solution adds a lot of overhead to my next function, around 50% increase overall. I was hoping I could implement similar logic but instead put it into nextstart() or possibly start(). nextstart() didn't work, but this was my naive idea, to somehow overwrite the normal nextstart() functionality.

# NOT CORRECT USE OF NEXTSTART
        params = {start_date: datetime.datetime(1,1,1)}
        def __init__(self): 
            pass
        def nextstart(self):
            if self.data0.datetime.datetime() < self.p.start_date: 
                return
            else: 
                self.next()
        def next(self):
            #strategy

This is functionally what I would like to do. But is there a correct way do it?

• Ok here's the best I got to far, found a way to use the behind the scenes lines calculation during init. Definitely a performance improvement, but still looking for better.

params = {start_date: datatime(1,1,1)}
        def __init__(self): 
            self.trade_delay = self.data0.datetime < bt.date2num(self.p.start_date)
        def next(self):
            if self.trade_delay: return

#strategy ...

• administrators

Getting into next (adulthood) is not foreseen in terms of datetime. The requirement is that all lines objects that play a role in the Strategy (data feeds, indicators and those generated with, for example, arithmetic operations) deliver.

As such, the only actual way is to have a guard in next itself (and not in nextstart which will be called only once by the system)

Something along the lines of (not dissimilar to what you have tried)

def next(self):
        if self.data.datetime.datetime(0) < self.minimum_date:
            return