For code/output blocks: Use ``` (aka backtick or grave accent) in a single line before and after the block. See: http://commonmark.org/help/

Mismatch unrealized pnl in broker and in strategies, need help

• Hello. I have two strategies and need to calculate unrealized pnl separately for each strategy. I made this functionality with Analyzers:

1. One keeps strategies' positions:
    class Positions(bt.Analyzer):

def start(self):
            self._positions = defaultdict(Position)

def notify_order(self, order):

if order.status not in [Order.Partial, Order.Completed]:
                return  # It's not an execution

pos = self._positions[order.data]
            for exbit in order.executed.iterpending():
                if exbit is None:
                    break  # end of pending reached

pos.update(exbit.size, exbit.price)

1. Second one calculates unrealized pnl for each strategy:
    class Unrealized(bt.Analyzer):

def start(self):
            self._positions = self.strategy.analyzers.positions._positions
            self.unrealized = OrderedDict()

def next(self):
            unrealized = 0.0

for data in self._positions:
                comminfo = self.strategy.broker.getcommissioninfo(data)
                position = self._positions[data]

dunrealized = comminfo.profitandloss(position.size, position.price, 
                                                     data.close[0])
                unrealized += dunrealized

dtkey = self.strategy.datetime.datetime()
            self.unrealized[dtkey] = unrealized

def get_analysis(self):
            return self.unrealized

1. Another one is for storing cerebro.broker._unrealized for all positions from all strategies:
    class BrokerValue(bt.Analyzer):

def start(self):
            self.unrealized = OrderedDict()

def next(self):
            dtkey = self.strategy.datetime.datetime()
            self.unrealized[dtkey] = self.strategy.broker._unrealized

def get_analysis(self):
            return self.unrealized

It works well for one strategy in cerebro: unrealized pnl from analyzer BrokerValue is the same as from Unrealized analyzer. But for two strategies results from strat1.analyzers.unrealized + (plus) strat2.analyzers.unrealized is different with unrealized from cerebro.broker.
    Here is screen with difference (orders makes in the beginings of each month): link text

Can you please advice what may be wrong in my approach? And how to make it work properly.
    I was really already exhausted with it.

p.s. There are no any commissions schemes in cerebro.broker and each strategy can make orders in same instrument.

Thanks!

• It's a little bit mysterious approach above, and the reason is in the next:

Example
    We have two strategies and looking for Positions for each separately (added analyzer above), and also looking for Positions in BackBroker that summarized it. Open a position in strat1: 10 size by price 100, and open in strat2: 20 size by price 200. Same instrument in both, but there are may be different opening dates.

Broker calculated price (as in position.update() logic): (10 * 100 + 20 * 200) / (10 + 20) = 166.(6) and position size 10 + 20. i.e. broker has size 30 by price 166.(6)

Then if in strategy 1 we have to partial close position with size 5, then:
    strat1 position have: size 5 by price 100
    strat2 position have same: size 20 by price 200 (no updating position).
    and broker after updating has: size 25 by same price 166.(6)

And now if we find average price for strat1 and strat2: (5 * 100 + 20 * 200) / (5 + 20) = 180 that obviously not equal that broker position store. Thats it.

• administrators

@oalexandere said in Mismatch unrealized pnl in broker and in strategies, need help:

Can you please advice what may be wrong in my approach?

Probably that you believe that each strategy operates with different funds. They don't. The broker is a single account broker.

@oalexandere said in Mismatch unrealized pnl in broker and in strategies, need help:

And how to make it work properly.

If the strategies operate on the same assets (i.e.: they are antagonistic) there is no way.

If they operate on different assets, you can track the assets or use specific tradeids for the orders generated by each strategy.

strat1 position have: size 5 by price 100
    strat2 position have same: size 20 by price 200 (no updating position).

Wrong. The positions are the same for all strategies for a single asset.

• @backtrader said in Mismatch unrealized pnl in broker and in strategies, need help:

If the strategies operate on the same assets (i.e.: they are antagonistic) there is no way.

Bad news for me. But anyway thanks for reply.

@backtrader said in Mismatch unrealized pnl in broker and in strategies, need help:

Wrong. The positions are the same for all strategies for a single asset.

Yes for broker it's true, I understand. But example was for situation with separatly storing positions for each strategy (with analyzer <class Positions> above). And then comparing it with Positions in broker.

Looks like your connection to Backtrader Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.